This creamy poppy seed dressing recipe is a versatile and tasty salad dressing that can transform any salad. This homemade salad dressing is easy to make and can be used on chicken salads, fruit salads, and my personal favorite, spinach salads.
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
When I think of summer salads I always think of this creamy dressing recipe. It is always a toss-up between this and my favorite balsamic vinaigrette with basil.
🌟Why This Recipe Works
The balance of acidic, sweet, and savory flavors is what makes this meal so delicious. The Greek yogurt gives a creamy base, while the apple cider vinegar and orange juice add a tangy note. The honey adds a mild sweetness to balance off the acidity, while the poppy seeds add a lovely texture.
Whether you're looking to dress up a simple green salad or add some flavor to a fruit salad, this creamy poppy seed dressing is sure to impress. Its well-balanced flavors and easy-to-find ingredients make it a go-to recipe for any occasion.
📋Poppy Seed Dressing Ingredients
This homemade poppy seed dressing recipe requires just a few simple ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Plain Greek Yogurt: This provides a creamy base for the dressing. Use full-fat yogurt for the best texture. If you don't have Greek yogurt, you can substitute it with regular plain yogurt, sour cream, or buttermilk.
Apple Cider Vinegar: This adds a tangy flavor to the dressing. If you don't have apple cider vinegar, you can substitute it with white wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, or red wine vinegar.
Honey: This provides a subtle sweetness to the dressing, I prefer using local raw honey. You can substitute with agave nectar, maple syrup, or brown sugar for a vegan option.
Orange Juice: This adds a touch of citrus flavor to the dressing.
Poppy Seeds: These add a nutty crunch and visual interest to the dressing.
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil: This provides a smooth texture to the dressing. Like with all salad dressing recipes, use your best olive oil for this recipe. I don't recommend vegetable oil or canola oil but I find avocado oil to work well in this recipe.
See the recipe card for exact quantities.
🍲How to Make Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
Add all your ingredients, except the olive oil to a small bowl.
Whisk until well combined. It will be a little frothy.
Pour the olive oil into the bowl in a steady stream while continually whisking.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
🥣 How to Use Poppy Seed Salad Dressing
I know this dressing is always popular on a classic summer strawberry spinach salad. But there are so many ways to use it:
- Poppy seed dressing also works great as a dip for vegetables, crackers, or chips. You can serve it on a platter with sliced cucumbers, carrots, celery, or bell peppers for a healthy snack.
- You can use poppy seed dressing as a sandwich spread in place of mayo or mustard. It pairs well with chicken, turkey, ham, or veggie sandwiches.
- It is the perfect accompaniment to grilled chicken or fish.
- Try it on an all-fruit salad. It is great with berries and peaches!
- Make my favorite chicken salad but combining shredded chicken, red onion, sliced grapes, and fresh parsley.
- Add a little Dijon mustard to the dressing and try it on an apple and kale salad for Fall.
After mixing the ingredients, let the dressing sit for a while before using it. This will allow the flavors to meld together and result in a more flavorful dressing.
This creamy poppyseed dressing can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5 days.
However, because it contains dairy products, it's important to keep it refrigerated and discard any leftovers that have been left out at room temperature for more than two hours.
I do recommend making this delicious dressing in advance, Make a double batch and use it all week long.
❤️More Delicious Sauce Recipes
💬Frequently Asked Questions
You can substitute lemon juice for the OJ to make a lemon poppy seed dressing. Also, try a strained berry puree. I like strawberries in particular.
Yes, you can make poppy seed dressing by hand (shaking in a mason jar or using a bowl and whisk) or use a blender or food processor.
Creamy Poppy Seed Salad Dressing with Greek Yogurt
- Mixing Bowl
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- n a medium bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, honey, poppy seeds, salt, and black pepper until well combined.½ cup plain Greek yogurt, ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, ¼ cup honey, 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, 2 tablespoons orange juice
- While whisking continuously, slowly drizzle in the extra-virgin olive oil until the dressing is well combined and creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.