Make your own simple syrup in just 2 minutes with this microwave method. This recipe follows the standard ratio of water to sugar to make the perfect liquid sweetener for everything from coffee to your favorite cocktails.
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Just because you can find a substitute for simple syrup doesn't mean you have to. You may think the sugar will just dissolve, but sugar doesn't dissolve in cold beverages like a coffee cold brew.
Use my basic recipe for a quick and easy simple syrup.
🌟Why This Recipe Works
Speed and Simplicity: No more tending to a simmering pot on the stove and no pans to wash.
Consistent Results: Say goodbye to undissolved sugar crystals. You can always pop back in for a few more seconds.
Sugar- White sugar is the standard for making a basic simple syrup. but you any type of sugar including coconut sugar, demerara sugar, or brown sugar. You can also use alternative sweeteners like honey or agave.
Water- I prefer to use filtered water for the cleanest taste.
Microwave-Safe Bowl- I actually use a glass measuring cup because it is easier to pour. Be sure to leave plenty of space so the mixture doesn't boil over.
🍲How to Make Simple Syrup in the Microwave
An equal amount of sugar and water to your container. Microwave for 2 minutes on high.
Stir the mixture for 30 seconds and cook for 30 to 60 seconds more. Continue to mix until the sugar dissolves.
Allow your simple sugar syrup to cool to room temperature before using.
Microwaves vary in power and so will the cooking time. If the sugar doesn't totally dissolve heat in 30 seconds increments stirring in between.
Rich Simple Syrup- Make a richer syrup by adding 2 cups of sugar to 1 cup of water.
Lavender Syrup- Swap out half of the regular sugar with a ½ cup of lavender sugar.
Warm Simple Syrup- Add autumn flavors by steeping a couple of whole cinnamon sticks and 2 to 3 whole cloves.
Herbal Syrup- Use our sage simple syrup recipe as a guide to experiment with fresh herbs like mint and basil.
🥣 How to Use Simple Syrup
This easy microwave syrup can be used to sweeten cold drinks like lemonade, iced coffee, and iced tea. In any cocktail recipe calling for syrup. You can brush on cake layers to keep them moist or as a glaze on fruit desserts.
Add to your homemade whipped cream for a lightly sweetened flavor or drizzle over fresh fruit-topped ice cream.
Use a metal whisk to ensure you dissolve any sugar sticking to the bottom of your glass.
Once cooled, transfer your simple syrup to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. Properly stored, it can last up to one month.
You can read more about freezing and storing simple syrup.
❤️More Delicious Recipes
💬Frequently Asked Questions
If that is your preference, you can use monkfruit sugar or Swerve to make this syrup.
Microwave Simple Syrup
- microwave safe glass bowl
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup filtered water
- Combine water and sugar in a glass bowl or measuring cup. Leave at least 1 to 2 inches of headspace at the top so the syrup doesn't boil over.1 cup granulated sugar, 1 cup filtered water
- Cook on high for 2 minutes. Stir and the mixture and cook for 1 more minute. Stir to ensure the sugar has fully dissolved. Heat for another 30 seconds if needed. Cool to room temperature before using.
- This recipe works with other sugars such as brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, or coconut sugar.
- The leftover syrup will last about a month in the fridge when stored in an airtight container.
- This recipe uses the basic ratio for liquid syrups. You can make a rich syrup by using 2 parts white sugar and 1 part water.