The definition of an easy dip recipe. Best made in advance, this cream cheese-based 3 ingredient onion dip is thick and creamy. An irresistible appetizer perfect for game day!
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This is an old family family recipe. It is the party dip for family reunions and game days. Probably because it is so easy to throw together as a last-minute appetizer.
🌟Why This Recipe Works
No Soup Mix and No Cooking- This is truly a 3 ingredient recipe, no French onion soup mix. Just pure natural flavors and simple ingredients.
Easy to Customize- This is my base cold dip recipe that can be customized. It can also be doubled or tripled for larger gatherings.
Grated Onion- The key to this delicious dip is grating the onion. Grating breaks down the cell walls releasing huge amounts of flavor with just a tiny bit of onion.
Chopping or mincing it won't release enough onion flavor.
Cream Cheese- There is nothing wrong with sour cream or mayonnaise based dips but cream cheese gives a rich thick texture many cold dip recipes are lacking. You can use reduced-fat or full fat cream cheese.
Onion- Use a plain yellow onion or sweet onions like a walla walla or Vidalia onion in this recipe. I do not recommend using white onion or red onions. And definitely do not use onion powder or dried onion flakes.
Milk-Just a dab to get a dippable consistency.
Salt- My measurement is using kosher salt so start with less if using a fine see salt.
See the recipe card for exact quantities. However, the total quantities in this recipe are very flexible.
🍲How to Make Cream Cheese Onion Dip
Whip the cream cheese for 1 to 2 minutes to get it light and fluffy.
Add the grated onion and the juices to the cream cheese.
Stir the cream cheese and taste test. Add more onion or salt, if desired.
Chill for at least 1 hour but recommended that you chill overnight. After chilling overnight, let the dip sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
From there you can customize homemade onion dip to your personal preference.
🥣 How to Serve Onion Dip
To start this is a cold onion dip, but it should sit a room temp a few minutes before serving.
- My favorite way to serve this is as chip dip with plain potato chips but tortilla chips, pita chips, and pretzels are great too.
- Spread on a sandwich or burger
- As a veggie dip with carrots, celery, radishes, etc.
- As a topping for baked potatoes
Chilling the dip overnight will mellow the onion and give it a rich yet light flavor. It really is better the next day!
Store leftover dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days. If the dip sat out for more than two hours I don't recommend saving it.
This recipe should be made the night before. But even an hour of chilling will greatly improve the flavor.
Taste before serving and add more salt and onion as needed.
❤️More Delicious Dip Recipes
💬Frequently Asked Questions
No, I recommend this recipe as a cold dip recipe only.
3 Ingredient Onion Dip (No Soup Mix!)
- Hand Mixer
- Box Grater
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup yellow onion grated not minced
- Place the softened cream cheese in a small bowl. Use a hand mixer to whip the cream cheese. Add 1 tablespoon of milk and the salt. Add more milk for a thinner texture.8 ounces cream cheese, 2 tablespoons milk, 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Stir in the grated onion. Add more for a stronger flavor. Add additional salt to taste.⅓ cup yellow onion
- Add more onion as needed. I sometimes add up to ⅔ of a cup depending on the sharpness of the onion.
- This dip is best made the day before. Add more onion and salt if desired.
- You must grate, not chop the onion for the full flavor.